This Victorian style depot features board and batten
siding with ornate trim with stained glass panes in the windows. This style of
depot was common along the lines of the Michigan Central with at least 18
examples built. Depots of this style were located at Decatur, Eden, Francisco,
Irving, Jones, Roscommon, Sherwood, Vandalia and West Branch, Michigan;
Chrisman and South Bend, Indiana; Buxton, Chippewa, La Salette, Mull, Oil City,
Stevensville and Victoria Park, Ontario Canada.
The Michigan Central (MC) came under Vanderbilt control
through majority stock ownership about 1878. At the time of consolidation of
several predecessors into the New York Central Railroad in 1914, the MC was
operated as an affiliated company with integration of corporate functions, but
with its own operating management.
Property of the MC was leased to the New York Central in 1930 and
operations were fully integrated into the NYC in 1932.
The depot at West Branch, Michigan was built in 1872 still
stands and houses the chamber of commerce and a lawyer’s office. It is the
basis for the model. The depots at Buxton and Chippewa, Ontario Canada are also
reported to be preserved.