Michigan’s rich railroad history
began in November 1836, when the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad initiated service
between Toledo (Ohio) and Adrian (MI).
The first Erie and Kalamazoo train consisted of stagecoach-like vehicles
linked together and pulled by horses. Steam locomotive–hauled trains were still
eight months in the future. As the new
railroads grew and prospered, they put in place more elaborate station
buildings in the communities they served.
By the end of the 19th century, some of the larger railroad stations
being built in Michigan were works of art in their own right. But whatever size and form they took,
railroad stations were uniquely styled buildings, and there was generally no
mistaking them for anything else. This volume portrays some of Michigan’s
finest railroad stations during their heyday in the second decade of the 20th
Author Bio: David J. Mrozek, a retired financial analyst, has been
interested in stations, interlocking towers, and other railroad support
structures since the late 1960s. Between
1978 and 1986, he wrote a monthly column titled “Down at the Depot” for the
Michigan Railroad Club. Railroad Depots
of Michigan: 1910–1920 is his first book.
Be aware that the accuracy of some of Arcadia’s home-spun histories is sometimes questionable. Hence, your NYCSHS directors would be interested in reviews by knowledgeable members.
Published by Arcadia Publishing, this softcover retails for $22, with NYCSHS members paying only $17.60. Shipping is extra and Ohio residents must add 8% Ohio sales tax.