Starting first as inland
connections for port cities, Northeast Ohio’s first railroads opened in July
1850. By 1890, northeast Ohio was laced
with railroad tracks. Cleveland became the premier hub of railroad activity
while lessor lines radiated from the lake ports at Ashtabula, Conneaut,
Fairport Harbor, Huron, and Lorain.
Akron became a center of a “southerly” tier of east–west lines. Over 310 passenger and combination depots
were established at various points serving the needs of passengers, baggage,
mail and freight. Depots were the focal
point of communities—news arrived by telegraph; traveling salesmen gathered on
the trackside platforms; stationmasters maneuvered wagons loaded with baggage,
parcels, and milk cans; locals gathered to meet, greet, and send off family and
friends. The depot was a veritable
beehive of activity at train time. This
book offers a glimpse into these golden years of train travel through the use
of early postcards and photographs of selected depots and related structures.
Author Bio: Mark J. Camp, a geology professor at the
University of Toledo, serves as a national director of the Railroad Station
Historical Society. His other Images of
Rail titles include Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio and Railroad Depots of
West Central Ohio.
Be aware that the accuracy of some of Arcadia’s home-spun histories is sometimes questionable. Hence, your NYCSHS directors would be interested in reviews by knowledgeable members.
Published by Arcadia Publishing, this softcover retails for $22, with NYCSHS members paying only $17.60. Shipping is extra and Ohio residents must add 8% Ohio sales tax.